1. How do I become a member of On My Own?
Start by reviewing our eligibility criteria. If you believe you are eligible, please contact the Program Manager to discuss the program in more detail. A completed application  and a meeting with the Program Manager will be required prior to admission.

2. What types of intellectual disabilities do On My Own members have?
At On My Own, we work with adults with mild forms of the following intellectual disabilities: Down Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cognitive Impairment, Cerebral Palsy, Learning Disabilities, and Seizure Disorders.

3.What is the average age of On My Own members?
To participate in On My Own programs, you must be 18 years of age or older. Currently, the average age is late twenties-early thirties.

4. Can I just participate in On My Own’s social outings?
Not at this time.

5. Can I just participate in classes?
Yes, once you have been accepted into the On My Own Social Program, you can register for eight (8) classes annually (Fiscal year – July 1 through June 30). Participating in social outings is not mandatory, but is encouraged!

6. How is On My Own funded?
On My Own of Michigan is a private nonprofit organization. Our support comes primarily from fees paid by members and/or their families, four (4) fundraising events held during the year and from individual, corporate and foundation donors.

7. Does On My Own provide any financial assistance to cover the cost of program fees?
Not at this time.

8. What type of housing does On My Own provide?
Many members in the On My Own Apartment Living Program reside in Somerset Park Apartments in Troy, but they have a choice of where to live. Somerset Park Apartments is a very large apartment complex and is maintained in very good condition. The complex has numerous amenities like an outdoor pool, tennis courts, softball field, exercise rooms, garden plots, a nine hole golf course and picnic areas. Please note that On My Own does not have a contractual agreement with Somerset Park Apartments, nor do we provide housing assistance for On My Own members. For more information visit www.somersetparkapartments.com.

9. Where is the office of On My Own of Michigan located?
The On My Own office is located at 1250 Kirts Blvd, Suite 300, in Troy and is within a short walking distance from Somerset Park Apartments.

10. How do eligible individuals afford to become a member of On My Own of Michigan?
Most On My Own members receive government supports such as Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid, and Medicare. Some of our members in the Apartment Living Program also receive Supports Coordination through Community Living Services of Oakland County, which is authorized through Oakland County Community Mental Health Authority (OCCMHA).

11. Do you provide any transportation?
We provide transportation from our office to the planned social outings we hold weekly during our class sessions. We also provide transportation to the grocery store and professional appointments (medical, psychological, and dental) to individuals in the Apartment Living Program when other options are not available.

12. Do On My Own members have jobs?
Most On My Own members in the Apartment Living Program are employed in either part-time or full-time jobs and many of their jobs are located nearby Somerset Park Apartments. Many of the members in the Social Program are also employed in part-time or full-time jobs near their homes. Please be aware that On My Own does not provide transportation to and from employment and, for the most part, members use local public transportation to get to work.

13. Do you provide any vocational training or placement?
For our members in the Apartment Living Program, we provide individual job etiquette skills training when needed. We also offer job preparation classes. We typically do not assist with job placement or on-site job training. When such services are needed, we work with other organizations such Jewish Vocational Services and Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS) to find employment.