On My Own of Michigan is a member-centered nonprofit that was founded in 1997 by parents of young adults with developmental disabilities. These families were looking for, but could not find, independent living options for their children.
After much consideration and planning, they worked together to create the option they had searched so long for: a supportive, inclusive community that allowed their children to live the life of their dreams.
In our nearly 25 years of service to the metro Detroit community, we’ve helped more than 100 individuals with autism, Down Syndrome and other cognitive impairments achieve and maintain a life of independence.
Our vision is to be the premier community in metro Detroit for adults with mild developmental disabilities by 2022.
Our mission is to support adults with mild developmental disabilities as they build and maintain a life of independence.
Our values and promise to you
When working with us, we promise to:
- serve as your one-stop shop for independent living support—if you have a question, we’ll find the answer for you,
- offer you peace of mind and be there when you need us, and
- connect you with peers and help you build long-lasting friendships.
As we do this work, we want you to feel like:
- you matter to us,
- we’re a trusted partner,
- you’re making a good investment, and
- you’re working with experts.