Our Independent Living Program provides one-on-one independent living support to individuals with developmental disabilities.
Our Independent Living Program is best suited for individuals who:
- are 18 years or older
- have a developmental disability such as:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Down Syndrome
- intellectual disabilities, cognitive impairments or learning disorders
- want to participate in our Independent Living Program
- have demonstrated success in maintaining personal hygiene independently
- have demonstrated success in managing daily medication independently
- have demonstrated success in remaining safe in both new and known environments without close supervision
- do not have a history of being violent with themselves or others
- have demonstrated success with communicating their needs effectively and appropriately
- have demonstrated success with listening to and following rules and two-to-three-step instructions
- have demonstrated success with learning and maintaining skills
- are respectful of others
Our Independent Living Program is designed to provide you with the customized one-on-one support you need to begin the transition to and maintain successful independent living.
If you're thinking about living on your own or are currently living on your own but need a bit more support, our Independent Living Program may be right for you!
Independent Living Program support is provided, on average, for one hour per week.
Most of our members meet with their support staff during traditional business hours (Monday through Friday, 9 am - 5 pm), though you'll create the schedule that works best for you and your support staff when you begin receiving services.
In addition to a weekly meeting, members of our Independent Living Program also have access to our 24/7 emergency phone line to help you through non-life threatening situations that may be unfamiliar or anxiety-producing.
The Independent Living Program costs $225 per month. This is in addition to the Skill Building Program cost of $275 per month, as all Independent Living Program members must also join our Skill Building Program. In total, full membership is $500 per month.
Some members may be able to have their $225 Independent Living Program cost covered by Medicaid through Community Living Services of Oakland County.
Our application process includes the following steps:
- First, complete our online application.
- At the same time you complete your application, please submit your $100 non-refundable deposit (click the button on the application page to be brought to our payment page.)
- Once we receive your application and deposit, we'll contact you to schedule an interview with our staff. We'll want to meet with both you (our prospective Independent Living Program member) and your parent(s)/guardian(s).
- We'll also invite you to join us for two Skill Building Program activities to give you an opportunity to meet our community.
- Once these steps are complete and we've been able to confirm you meet our eligibility criteria, you'll receive an official acceptance to our Independent Living Program!
If you'd like to learn more about our Independent Living Program, please click here to join us for an upcoming virtual open house.
If you can’t join us for an open house, you may contact our Independent Living Program Manager Rachel Newbill at email@example.com or (248) 649-3739 x 228 to learn more.