The On My Own of Michigan® Skill Building Program hosts a full calendar of independent living skill workshops and social activities each week for people with developmental disabilities.
Our Skill Building Program is best suited for individuals who:
- are 18 years or older
- have a developmental disability such as:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Down Syndrome
- intellectual disabilities, cognitive impairments or learning disorders
- want to participate in our Skill Building Program
- have demonstrated success in maintaining personal hygiene independently
- have demonstrated success in managing daily medication independently
- have demonstrated success in remaining safe in both new and known environments without close supervision
- do not have a history of being violent with themselves or others
- have demonstrated success with communicating their needs effectively and appropriately
- have demonstrated success with listening to and following rules and two-to-three-step instructions
- have demonstrated success with learning and maintaining skills
- are respectful of others
Our Skill Building Program is designed to help you develop and refine your independent living skills, as well as build peer relationships and support networks.
If you're interested in making friends and beginning the journey to independent living, our Skill Building Program may be right for you!
Our Skill Building Program activities usually take place on weekday evenings and weekend afternoons. Typically, we host activities four days each week.
About half of our activities take place in our classroom in Troy while others take place out in the metro Detroit community. Some classroom activities also have a virtual option for those who prefer to join via Zoom. Transportation is provided from our office out into the community when needed.
The Skill Building Program costs $275 per month and includes unlimited access to our activities.
All Skill Building Program participants are required to be fully vaccinated + boosted against COVID-19 and provide a copy of their vaccination card before participating.
Additionally, all participants are required to wear masks during most of our group activities. Activities that are mask optional are noted on the monthly activity calendar.
Our application process involves the following steps:
- First, complete our online application form here.
- At the same time you complete your application, please submit your $100 non-refundable deposit (click the button on the application page to be brought to our payment page.)
- Once we receive your online application and deposit, we'll contact you to schedule an interview with our staff. We'll want to meet with both you (our prospective Skill Building Program member) and your parent(s)/guardian(s).
- We'll also invite you to join us for two Skill Building Program activities to give you an opportunity to meet our community.
- Once these steps are complete and we've been able to confirm you meet our eligibility criteria, you'll receive an official acceptance to our Skill Building Program!