The On My Own of Michigan® Skill Building Program hosts a full calendar of skill-building workshops and social activities each week for adults with developmental disabilities.
Our Skill Building Program is open to individuals who:
- are 18 years or older
- have a developmental disability
- want to participate in the program
- can stay safe without 1:1 supervision
- can complete tasks without constant prompting or redirection
- do not have a recent history of self harm or mental health crisis
- do not have a history of physical violence or aggression toward others
- can manage their daily living activities independently
- can reliably and accurately communicate their needs without prompting
- can use basic technology appropriately
Our Skill Building Program is designed to help you develop independent living skills and build peer relationships.
If you're interested in making friends and beginning the journey to independent living, our Skill Building Program may be right for you!
Our Skill Building Program activities take place on weeknights and weekend afternoons.
About half of our activities take place in our classroom in Troy while others take place out in the metro Detroit community. Some classroom activities also have a virtual option for those who prefer to join via Zoom. Transportation is provided from our office out into the community when needed and available.
The Skill Building Program costs $275 per month and includes unlimited access to our activities.
Our application process involves the following steps:
- First, complete our online application form here.
- At the same time you complete your application, please submit your $100 non-refundable application fee (click the button on the application page to be brought to our payment page.)
- Once we receive your online application and application fee, we'll contact you to schedule a 1-hour skills assessment and 30-minute family interview.
- After the skills assessment and interview, we'll invite you to join us for two Skill Building Program activities to give you an opportunity to meet our community.
- Once these steps are complete and we've been able to confirm you meet our eligibility criteria, you'll receive an official acceptance to our Skill Building Program!