Our Skill Building Program hosts six independent living skill workshops and social activities each week for individuals with developmental disabilities.
Our Skill Building Program is best suited for individuals who:
- are 18 years or older
- have a developmental disability such as:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Down Syndrome
- intellectual disabilities, cognitive impairments or learning disorders
- want to participate in our Skill Building Program
- have demonstrated success in maintaining personal hygiene independently
- have demonstrated success in managing daily medication independently
- have demonstrated success in remaining safe in both new and known environments without close supervision
- do not have a history of being violent with themselves or others
- have demonstrated success with communicating their needs effectively and appropriately
- have demonstrated success with listening to and following rules and two-to-three-step instructions
- have demonstrated success with learning and maintaining skills
- are respectful of others
Our Skill Building Program is designed to help you develop and refine your independent living skills, as well as build peer relationships and support networks.
If you're interested in making friends and beginning the journey to independent living, our Skill Building Program may be right for you!
Skill Building Program activities take place four days per week:
- Motivation Mondays: two virtual skill-building activities each Monday including a Plan Your Week check-in and a rotation of money management, communication, employment and home organization skill workshops.
- Wellness Wednesdays: two virtual skill-building activities each Wednesday including a rotation of Reading Group, TED Talk Group, Women's Group, Men's Group, Emotional Wellness, Physical Wellness, Eating Well and Karate.
- Fun Fridays: one in-person social activity each Friday including a rotation of Game Night, Movie Night, Arts + Crafts Night, Bowling Night and Bingo Night.
- Saturday Strolls: one in-person social activity each Saturday to help us explore our neighborhood, build friendships and have fun together.
The Skill Building Program costs $275 per month and includes unlimited access to our activities.
All Skill Building Program participants are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide a copy of their vaccination card before participating.
Additionally, all participants are required to wear masks during indoor group activities and are encouraged to wear masks during outdoor group activities.
Our application process involves the following steps:
- First, complete our online application form here.
- At the same time you complete your application, please submit your $100 non-refundable deposit (click the button on the application page to be brought to our payment page.).
- Once we receive your online application and deposit, we'll contact you to schedule an interview with our staff. We'll want to meet with both you (our prospective Skill Building Program member) and your parent(s)/guardian(s).
- We'll also invite you to join us for two Skill Building Program activities to give you an opportunity to meet our community.
- Once these steps are complete and we've been able to confirm you meet our eligibility criteria, you'll receive an official acceptance to our Skill Building Program!
If you'd like to learn more about our Skill Building Program, please click here to join us for an upcoming virtual open house.
You can also view a quick 10-minute summary of our programs here.
If you can’t join us for an open house, you may contact our Independent Living Program Manager Rachel Newbill at email@example.com or (248) 649-3739 x 228 to learn more.