Independence Prep by On My Own of Michigan® is an overnight independent living experience for teens and young adults with developmental disabilities.
Independence Prep is best suited for students who:
- are currently in high school, a transition program or are a young adult (up to age 26) not yet living independently
- have a developmental disability
- are interested in attending Independence Prep
- can stay safe without 1:1 supervision
- can complete tasks without constant prompting
- do not have a recent history of self harm or violence towards others
- can manage their daily living activities independently
- can reliably and accurately communicate their needs
- can use basic technology
- can learn and retain skills
Independence Prep has been carefully designed to help students and families:
- build a foundation for independent living skill attainment and practice that is helpful for employment, college or independent living experiences post-high school,
- build a shared goal and vision for living independently, and
- increase excitement for and momentum towards living independently after high school.
If this describes what you're seeking for your family or someone you support, Independence Prep may be right for you!
Our next sessions of Independence Prep will be held:
- January 27 - 29, 2023 (applications accepted until January 3)
- April 14 - 16, 2023 (applications accepted until March 21)
Independence Prep sessions are designed to help students build social connections and independent living skills in a safe, supported and fun environment. Skill-building experiences may include:
- personal management (getting up and ready independently, managing a schedule)
- home management (cleaning + organizing)
- health + wellness (self-care and coping strategies; meal planning + preparation)
- healthy relationships (teamwork; creating social connections)
- transportation (getting around the community)
- employment (communicating your needs and engaging with others; group etiquette)
- money management (the costs of living on your own)
- safety (staying safe in new environments)
Independence Prep experiences are offered quarterly, with students welcome to join us for as many sessions as they'd like. Slight modifications will be made to the agenda each quarter to ensure students are learning and reinforcing new skills each time they join us.
Independence Prep sessions cost:
- $500 for a single room
- $400 for a double room (as available)
The cost to participate includes:
- a two-night hotel stay
- all meals + light snacks
- activity materials
- a personalized plan for continued growth
A $100 discount is offered to students who enroll in all three academic year sessions (October, January + April.)
NEW SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY: If you attend a Title 1 school and receive free lunch, you are eligible for a full scholarship for Independence Prep from our McFawn Family Scholarship Fund! To be considered for a scholarship, note your interest on the Independence Prep application form. A $50 application deposit is NOT required if applying for the scholarship.
If you aren't sure if you attend a Title 1 school, you can search here. (select 'open-active' as the first value, 'title 1 status' as the characteristic in the second line and 'schoolwide' as the second value.)
All Independence Prep students are required to be up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations (including at least one booster dose) and provide a copy of their vaccination card before participating.
Additionally, participants may be required to have a rapid COVID-19 test (provided by Independence Prep) conducted before engaging in our weekend experience.
Any participant with a positive test, symptoms of COVID-19 or close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 will not be allowed to participate and will be offered attendance at the next scheduled session of Independence Prep instead.
Finally, masks will be required to be worn during group activities. Masks will be optional while students are in their private bedrooms and while eating.
Our application process involves the following steps:
- First, complete our online application form here.
- At the same time you complete your application, please submit your $50 non-refundable application fee (click the button on the application page to be brought to our payment page.) Do not submit a $50 application fee if you're also applying for the McFawn Family Scholarship Fund.
- Once we receive your online application and application fee, we'll contact you to schedule an interview with our staff. We'll want to meet with both you (our prospective Independence Prep student) and your parent(s)/guardian(s).
- We'll also reach out to the teacher or social worker you listed as a reference on your application. We'll ask them a few questions about your potential fit for Independence Prep.
- Once these steps are complete and we've been able to confirm you meet our eligibility criteria, you'll receive an official acceptance to Independence Prep!